Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Random Thoughts Thread 2
Hades Moon
Star
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 1002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 9:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I hope you guys can enjoy hairdressers real soon. I had forgotten how good it can feel afterwards. I feel so much lighter with the ends trimmed 🙂.

😆@ you both still being alive!. When I’m around my partner 24/7, it does my head in 🤯

Can’t live with them, but can’t live without them!

The following users say thanks to Hades Moon for this post:

CrisLondon
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 7715
Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 10:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just scrolled through my Facebook newsfeed. Nothing but political propaganda from family and friends, and sponsored ads from Facebook.

Everyone’s trying to sell me something. I’m done. Night night. whacky_gif

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

Hades Moon, CrisLondon
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Tuesday, May 19, 2020 - 10:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh yeah, forgot to mention all the Toastmasters International posts spamming my wall. Zoom meetings and bylaws and questions, oh my!

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

Hades Moon, CrisLondon
PurpleStarGirl
Oregon
Star
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 1126
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 12:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bought a book on sexual empowerment and it’s pretty fascinating so far. The book is “Come As You Are” by Emily Nagoski, PhD.

My Scorpio ASC is really showing here, huh? Haha.

The following users say thanks to PurpleStarGirl for this post:

Hades Moon, CrisLondon
anonymoushermit
Milky Way
Members
Forum Posts: 5479
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 3:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re also using your 3rd house, reading. Oh yes, and Scorpio too!

Hades Moon
Star
Limited Access

Members
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 2:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

😄 well it looks like a pretty good book; the author is associated with the Kinsey sex research institute which have accrued a lot of info on this subject matter.

Years ago, I had a book titled sexology which went into detail about each signs sexual demeanour. Rather interesting, wish I still had it.

Soph-tee-clees
Sun
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 672
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 2:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I recall a book by Judy Hall. Something like ‘love signs in astrology’ and it had the sexual fantasy of every sign. It was really a book to get a group of people together and laugh at. One of the fantasies, I remember and Aquarius girl commenting on was for Aquarius: ‘Dreams of being taken aboard a space ship and prodded with cold instruments’

Sagittarius was ‘joining the Mile High club’.

But generally I find information in the area usually focused on starsigns and generally lacking in the field. I think a chart can be looked at in a more complex light like: ‘x and y aspect would be the persons first instinct but it would not hold so would fall back on z, which may relate to a and b aspect, which is then related to c in such and such a way.’ I have the fantasies and charts of only a very few people. It has pretty much always made sense.

If it were done properly it should be done like qualitative research. Like you hear a chart described in a Liz Greene book but just with an emphasis on sexuality.

The following users say thanks to Soph-tee-clees for this post:

Hades Moon
Hades Moon
Star
Limited Access

Members
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 3:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What you wrote about the Judy Hall book sounds familiar. 
Yeah, that definitely sounds lighthearted & mainly good for a laugh.

I agree about using case studies like Liz Greene. Love all of her books. Psychology & astrology combined is definitely my thing.

Soph-tee-clees
Sun
Limited Access

Members
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 3:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, trouble is I could not joke about it at the time because the University students I was hanging around with would declare proudly that they didn’t believe in it. But if you were then talking about it with the few that did if it came to them they would sit there and worry about whether it was true or not, like really think of it, and you couldn’t be light hearted. They were literally worse than someone who overly believes in the subject.

One of the insights I think I’ve had from looking at charts from this angle is that, at least from the charts I have seen, people tend to fantasize about what their chart is pushing towards anyway. Obviously I can’t say for more than my small case study but it is something to consider.

Hades Moon
Soph-tee-clees
Sun
Limited Access

Members
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 11:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There were a few meanings to the name I chose but one was because I thought Sophocles was a philosopher.

Turns out he was a guy who made a lot of theatre.

Hades Moon, NotMyCircus
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 7:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is his name the origin of the word “sophisticated”? hmmm_gif

Buendia
Sun
Members
Forum Posts: 966
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 11:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Naw, but they are sort of related. “Sophos” essentially means “wise,” and “cles” comes from “kles” or “kleos” that translates to fame, but not as we usually think of it. More like glory, etc. It’s a major theme in The Odyssey. Sophocles is like saying “he whose glory is wisdom” or something similar. 

“Sophisticated” is more closely related to the meaning of the word “sophists.” It’s true, they include the same root meaning “wise,” and sophist means something close to “wise man” but the sophists had a terrible reputation in Ancient Greece, compared to philosophers (love of wisdom). The sophists claimed they were wise, and charged for their knowledge. Philosopher’s didn’t claim to have any wisdom, they were merely seekers, and helped other seekers along the way, free of charge. Sophists were considered “impure” to many in Ancient Greece, and just kind of sleazy gotcha types.

An early use of sophisticated evolved to essentially describe or make something impure, like the sophists, but it’s meaning has flipped over the centuries. Kinda like the use of the word “peruse” and so on.

Sophocles wrote Oedipus Rex, Antigone, etc. He’s the source of many classics and ideas still relevant in our world. Definitely a wise man, in the philosophers sense of the word. 

Ancient Greek is close to impossible to translate well, even for experts. I’m in no way even close to that, not even a little. 

The following users say thanks to Buendia for this post:

NotMyCircus, Osiris Wife
Soph-tee-clees
Sun
Limited Access

Members
Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 6:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting.

Perhaps this is where the term ‘Sophistry’ came from as well.

So ‘Sophistication’ the thing we believe to be close to civility and opposing barbarity is also shoulder to shoulder with ‘Sophistry’ the thing that leads to all the problems.

Maybe that is the enigma of our society!

NotMyCircus, Osiris Wife, Buendia
Buendia
Sun
Members
Forum Posts: 966
Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 11:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, exactly. Sophistry describes the behavior of the Sophists, and is still used in the same way. Sophisticated is derived from the Latin interpretation of (Greek) sophistry, sophists, etc., meaning to adulterate our make impure. Over time, this developed took on a more positive connotation—to make complex. 

There are many who believe/d that the increasing complexities of society and the development of civilization was the downfall of man and the root of all our problems. That depends on whether you believe in the inherent goodness or evil of humanity. To believe that humanity is inherently good, one is likely to view civilization (sophistication) as a corrupting influence; if humanity is inherently evil, the view is likely that civilization provides structure to curb our inherent base and evil impulses. 

Soph-tee-clees
Sun
Limited Access

Members
Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 3:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh wow. Well I know you weren’t bringing that up for debate but I’m on the side of things where you get light bulbs, birth control and medical technology and whatnot.

Did you know in the Roman times most children died of Cholera! Average age was 20 years old.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 1202
Currently Online: Elsa, aspire, PurpleStarGirl
Guest(s) 94
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Newest Members:
Gayle
Radostina
GaiaGateLanding
AstroLeoUK