Notifications
Clear all

Gardening 2021

Page 7 / 9

CocoPeaches
Registered
(@cocopeaches)
Reputable Member

Husband got me a trailer load of compost (2 scoops), and I moved most of it into my raised beds this weekend. Pretty much ready to plants now. We also got our tipi up and we had our friends over for the first tipi fire of the season. It’s still chilly here. Daffodils are up but haven’t bloomed... Lilac buds still tight... Tulips sending up flower heads.. spring is going to pop all at once, I think in the next 48 hrs!

NotMyCircus
Registered
(@notmycircus)
Prominent Member

My rosemary and sage seem very happy together since they were repotted together a few months ago. I did this as an experiment because while the sage was doing okay, the rosemary was struggling. Then I read that rosemary really only likes to hang out with sage. I had potted it with oregano, marjoram and parsley. Rosemary and sage have similar needs and prefer not to keep their feet wet. Ever since I threw them together in a 3-gallon pot with fresh potting soil and earthworm castings they are taking off. Being outdoors on the porch seems to really help, too. The rosemary is fragrant and healthy, and the sage leaves are getting big.

The bee balm is growing nicely in its new pot, so is the spearmint. 

Not sure what to do about the citronella. I had to cut it way back in the winter and the main stalk got woody. It's basically a big twig with leaves on it and the scent is not nearly as potent as last year. The wife of one of my clients has citronella plants and they are almost shrubs.  So I may throw out my citronella plant and start over, or I may just keep it because that plant is such a trooper!

Update on the baby birds I saw in my housemate's plant: they've flown the nest! A few days ago I was worried, because I saw one in the nest, sitting very still. Bird poop was all over the nest, and the railing below. But yesterday, all the birds were gone. 😍 

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

The unseasonable cold weather has passed. Everything made it though I do have some sorry looking tomatoes and squash of ?? type. I think everything will recover.

The cool season stuff looks great. I'm cutting romaine now myself and my neighbors. I also have radishes. I just love being able to walk outside, get food, bring it inside, wash it and eat it!

My back does not really ever hurt outside of short-lived soreness... muscles not structure. I put on weight lying around this winter, making sure it fused. I'm think it's starting to come off now so there are a lot of things going in the right direction.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Five more tomato plants, four peppers. That's it. I'm done!

Unless someone brings me something else... lol

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

I had a spinach salad today, it was great. I am done with radishes as of today. I'm looking forward to making this again this year.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
roses 2021 close
roses 2021

Best roses ever!

2 Replies
Warped
Registered