Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Houston-National_remember

Wreaths Across America

My husband will be involved in this, this year. He's going to haul a truckload of wreathes and make sure they get onto the graves of soldiers.

16 Replies
Jilly
Admin
(@jilly)
Estimable Member

thanks for the reminder

Candela
Registered
(@candela)
Estimable Member

These are beautiful. We burn candles here on graves this time of the year.

It's our Independence Day today. During the WWII, The Government made a decision to try and retrive everybody fallen in battle and send them to their own home community to be buried. Even those who could not be retrived, but went MIA eventually got a burial.  Some bodies were retrived as late as in the 1990's, after the fall of Soviet Union. So, every public graveyard has a section for fallen soldiers. My hometown has 234 graves. That's 234 people from around 7000 living at the Parish at the time. And we weren't the hardest hit among  in Region, the neighboring Parish had the biggest losts in Winter War in the whole country.

My Dad has done the watch for Independence Day and Christmas Eve since I can remember. Even in the 1980's, when it may not have been politically correct - although, in a small, rural town, it would have been impossible to keep families from paying their respect.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

It looks like I may go to the cemeteries with him. It's still a bit sketchy. He's going to pick up the wreathes now. He will be bringing them to three cemeteries, passing them out, along with hats and other stuff.

I don't know what this will be like for him...but he's going to do it no matter how it has him feeling.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Shaping up a little more. I am planning to come help him - they also need pictures - and I am going to take my son as well. I think it will be good for him to so something he's never done before. Plus, if my husband gets emotional, which he may, he'll have his family around for support. 

But it may be jovial. I still don't know exactly what is what, but my husband enjoys talking to men associated with the military. It's bound to be an experience.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

More details

This one of the cemeteries we're going to. Fort Morgan.

This is another...Rocky Mountain Cremation Gardens.

And we're going to a third as well.

Page 1 / 3