[Sticky] Possibly Locking Down The Forum
I'm considering locking down the forum. I will hate to do this but there are compelling reasons to do so. I'm posting this so people can weigh in. I will be candid.
- The forum has become toxic. This reflects our culture but there is more to it which will become apparent as you go down this list.
- There are specific topics and/or key phrases and attitudes that are forbidden in our society. Within hours of them showing up on the site, entities all over the world launch an attack on the site. Specifically, they attack whatever they don't like - the exact page.
- Pretty much every forum of note is compromised at this point. People are paid to infiltrate and derail and/or damage the community. There was a time this forum was really great - I know of another forum that was also great. It's suffered this same fate. Basically, all conversation is to be steered and controlled. If you have not noticed this on other forums, you will.
- I get tired of talking to myself.
- People ask for help here and they are ignored. I feel really bad about this but I'm swamped.
I think this forum could be saved and defended but I certainly can't do it by myself. I mean, I really cannot do it by myself.
I think it's worth saving but I may be the only one who wants to talk to people these days, I don't know.
If I do lock it down, this would be reversible if conditions were to change but realistically speaking, this would probably not happen. This would be a closed business, basically. One that has left an archive online.
Think about it. If there is anyone out there who would like to see the forum continue, this is what it would take:
- You've got to care enough to contribute. You've got to start threads with descriptive titles and help to answer questions for people.
- You have got learn to spot a (paid) shit-stirrer and flag their posts for me. Better yet, run them off yourself. Best, do both.
I understand the odds of people stepping up may be low or even very low but I want to at least give this option.
We need five or ten threads non-junky threads a day to stay viable. I don't think it would be hard. All you have to do is pitch in.
Does anyone want to?
Edit to add - I volunteer to be responsible for one of the 5-10 threads a day needed.
I’ll step in and help. I’ve read your words of wisdom and laughter and compassion and I enjoy it all. I don’t want to see it go. I love this tribe. You’re wonderful!! I’m just very shy. Help me help you. I’ll help others, I’m confident in my knowledge.
I finish college next week, giving me much more time to do this or that, and attempt to contribute on a somewhat regular and knowledgeable basis.
I certainly understand how you feel and what you have pointed out.
This makes me sad. But I do understand your predicament. I can commit to starting a new post once a week that is astrological in nature. I would try to come up with topics that are interesting and hopefully widely appealing.
I will help out. I would hate to see the forum go.
I'll try to post a topic weekly. Funny how this coincides with my pastor's sermon this morning on being alert to opportunities to help. He's a one-of-a-kind character, a local boy in a rural church now watched globally online by thousands for his crazy humor and spot-on sermons, best you'll ever hear.