Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
My friend: "America 1945 to 2008 was a fluke!"
anonymoushermit
Milky Way
Members
Forum Posts: 5527
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 5:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What do you think? wink

DarkAquarian
Star
Members
Forum Posts: 1099
Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What about now?

People will look back and ask what the fuck were we thinking as a civilization?

Seems we are slowly working towards something somewhat unforeseeable.

anonymoushermit
Milky Way
Members
Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We haven’t had 3% GDP since before the 2008 stock market crash. And we haven’t had a 4% GDP annual growth since the 2000 stock market crash. Economically, some people believe we’re past our peak. 

DarkAquarian
Star
Members
Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 7:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The US economy has been heavily inflated since 2008. This crash has been in the backdrop for some time now.

The ease of living, overuse and greed of resources has now shown, and will show over time, the embarrassing results of our habits.

There has been a cloud of delusion pervading the eyesight and senses of many of us. The security blanket of sensory overload is breaking down.

Yet, change is good, and inevitable.

There is momentum of a General Strike. I’d like nothing more than for small businesses to be fully supported and the pampering of big businesses to cease.

So, the GDP can kick rocks.

Corporate buybacks is demonic. To allow a company to buyback their shares while increasing the value to the remaining shares, then to spend all the available resources on stock distributions while borrowing to fund more distributions, is extremely foul. This renders companies with razor-thin margins of error, resulting in crisis like this one.

Dennis Kelleher of Better Markets said, “Corporations are loaded up with debt they wouldn’t otherwise have. They’re intentionally deciding to live on the very edge of calamity to benefit the richest Americans.”

The following users say thanks to DarkAquarian for this post:

Sherry
Satsun
SuperStar
Members

Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1509
Friday, April 17, 2020 - 6:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Terrible to think: all that virtual money belonging to that type of investment will NOT have virtual fallout on people who aren’t in that loop. They’ll really get hit.

Well, aside from that, what’s new???

NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 7877
Friday, April 17, 2020 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, the first Baby Boomers would have been born around 1945 or 1946, and they would have started retiring around 2010 maybe? Would that have anything to do with the 1945-2008 period? 

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

anonymoushermit
anonymoushermit
Milky Way
Members
Friday, April 17, 2020 - 9:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes!

dolce
Sun
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 923
Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 12:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve heard this and I can see it. But I am not entirely certain.

The following users say thanks to dolce for this post:

anonymoushermit
JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Forum Posts: 3361
Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 6:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I think America is going to make a big come back in the years ahead as more businesses bring back manufacturing and a lot of other things to be made here.  Globalization has suffered a huge blow because of Covid-19.  

In 1995, the signing of NAFTA really had a draining affect on the prosperity of this country.  We lost so many jobs and businesses to lower cost countries.  Now, there are real problems that businesses face if they rely on other countries because of the virus.  We’re going to go back to made in America and that will boost our GDP.  Also, NAFTA is gone now.

There are no corporate buybacks in stock for companies that take aid from the stimulus package.

https://www.marketwatch.com/st…..2020-03-25

Manufacturing in your own country is going to make a come back everywhere.  Buy local.

The following users say thanks to JoFrance for this post:

anonymoushermit, NotMyCircus
anonymoushermit
Milky Way
Members
Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 12:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I feel like we hit a huge peak in the 1990’s with almost everything: We won the cold war, the economy was GREAT, the music was pumping, the energy was very positive, people were consuming things as crazy, and politically, we weren’t as divided as now!

I’m not shocked that the 00’s, 10’s, and perhaps even some of the 2020’s is a more lackluster time for us. Once you reach a peak, you have to find a new plateau.

NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 7877
Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 8:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, I hope one lesson the United States takes from this is that we need to return to making things locally. 

Some resources, of course, can only be found in other parts of the world. But we don’t need the majority of our goods manufactured in other countries to save a buck. If we’re so poor as a country that our people can’t afford to buy anything local–that needs to be looked at. 

DarkAquarian
Star
Members
Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 9:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, NAFTA was part of it, but the Corporate Buybacks deal Reagan signed really set shit off. Again, that allowed major companies to live on the edge, inflate their own stocks (after buying them), and then reach out for more funds which did not have to be paid back. Put that in conjunction with them moving overseas and avoiding REAL taxes.

What confuses me is how some think that if everything were localized, without interference from big businesses, that they prices would skyrocket.

I say no. All that money that was being devoured by McDonalds, Target, etc., can be pumped into smaller businesses, especially if you have good product, or food.

But, I’m no fan of any decade I’ve lived in. I can only count 3 decades, but all were illusory in some manner: farmers and food sources manipulated by money which led to cancers, inflammation, horrid microbiomes and more. Wages not rising in some parallel fashion with cost of living. Science overriding humanistic and other medical modalities which are still plaguing people today.

I lived in NYC in the 80’s & 90’s as a child. I was a fucking war zone. Hip hop, fashion, and basketball (it “evolved”), manifested from such dismal times, but that shit is fleeting.

Ya, there’s nice things one can become nostalgic about or say, “but we have this”.

I refuse to be trapped by my own desires and time. I’m of the mindset that we are pretty damn dumb when it comes to being human.

LibraNoir created a thread about love, compassion, community and the like. For me, this is the foundation we should be thriving towards, not allowing GDP to solely reflect our circumstances and needs.

The following users say thanks to DarkAquarian for this post:

anonymoushermit
anonymoushermit
Milky Way
Members
Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 12:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Dark Aquarian,

I don’t know too much about the economy, US or otherwise. I do know that currency was created partly because human beings don’t trust one another! If we do ever reach a utopia, it would mean the human beings and/or any species, themselves, need to be evolved for us to not need money or currency.

If reincarnation exists, perhaps there is a planet where ‘old souls’ come and they are more karmically evolved, thus leading to less need for much systemic control over their masses. Well that, and perhaps reincarnation is a bunch of cow manure.  

anonymoushermit
Milky Way
Members
Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 12:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As for decades, I loved the 1980’s, pop culturally! But, no decade, or millenium is ever going to be perfect.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 1202
Currently Online: Elsa, Midara, Calliope, Curl, susane
Guest(s) 115
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Newest Members:
Patricia
Susan
clip11
omolara