Page 1 / 3

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
merry christmas 2021

Welcome to the 2021 Merry Christmas thread!  This is a place to spread love and cheer, gift and be gifted, share ideas or recipes, traditions, wishes, hopes, dreams and plans.

Have fun!

26 Replies
Estella
Registered
(@estella)
Trusted Member

Merry Christmas @elsa! Have a great one. ❤️ Plan to stay busy sewing (I’ve prepped 8 sewing packs by serging, washing, it on Ong, tracing and cutting) and challenging myself to make a vegan Christmas (I’m a meat-eater but for the sake of the other people who can’t eat meat…)

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

I am beginning to perk up. I think Mars hearing into Sagittarius has me feeling optimistic! 

dolce
Registered
(@dolce)
Reputable Member

This is my yearly Christmas cookie recipe. It's a good one and I recommend it! Very festive too!

White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies

Merry Christmas to all!

Warped
Registered
(@warped)
Honorable Member

Merry Christmas!

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had the traditional Italian Christmas Eve dinner of 7 varieties of fish including stuffed squid, baccala (cod), clams, etc.  And the traditional Christmas morning breakfast of "crispelle," a yeasty, eggy, raised dough deep fried and sprinkled with granulated sugar, served with steaming hot latte.

5 Replies
dolce
Registered
(@dolce)

Reputable Member

@warped My mother in law just stopped by and filled our chest freezer to the brim with seafood. I went to it yesterday to grab some ground meat and had to remove a mountain of fish just to find it 😂 My husband is Italian (3rd generation American) so we'll be doing the 7 fish as usual on 12/24!

I have never tried that breakfast but from the sound of it I'd really like to. It sounds DIVINE 😍

Warped
Registered
(@warped)

Honorable Member

@dolce 

So cool!  I'm glad to know the tradition lives on.  I made the stuffed squid several times but never tried making the baccala, though it now strikes me that dried salted cod would be a great addition to that SHTF pantry we should all be stocking.

I tried to make the crispelle from the tattered remnants of my grandmother's "recipe" -- it was just a list of ingredients to make enough to last a week as they're even better warmed up (even crispier) in the oven.  My efforts were disastrous without actual instructions.  I've seen a few recipes online, and one years ago when flipping through the Sopranos Cookbook.  

dolce
Registered
(@dolce)

Reputable Member

@warped dried salted cod would come in handy for sure.

Warped
Registered
(@warped)

Honorable Member

@dolce 

Here's the closest recipe I've found -- spelled differently but pronounced as I remember (mentioned in article).  And containing mashed potatoes which shocks me -- no wonder mine flopped!  Ours were made round-ish with a hole poked in center before frying, spongy and airy inside once cool enough to eat.

https://www.shelovesbiscotti.com/traditional-molisani-christmas-eve-fritters/

dolce
Registered
(@dolce)

Reputable Member

@warped THANK YOU! I'm writing this down and might give it a practice run next week, or just wing it and hope it turns out before giving it to everyone 🙂

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

How's it going?

My son is cooking Beef Wellington for friends.

My husband wants Greek food this year!  We're actually getting takeout!  It's a new Greek restaurant around here... they are actually open on Christmas if you can believe that.  But we're getting out big platter this afternoon.

5 Replies
jana
 jana
Registered
(@jana)

Honorable Member

@elsa 

I love Greek food. Lamb especially. Beef Wellington sounds ambitious and Taurean Smile

We're quarantined and eating chicken soup. Smile

Merry Christmas Elsa and everyone!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@jana it's his 3rd time making it. I was surprised! 
Merry Christmas back atcha! Smile

NotMyCircus
Registered
(@notmycircus)

Prominent Member

@elsa My family’s ordering takeout as well! But it will be Chinese food. We’re also not all able to gather together this year. I’m guessing my married siblings are spending Christmas with their in-laws and another sister is not in speaking terms with Mom anymore so this Christmas should be interesting. I’m so exhausted from responsibilities at work and home that I’m keeping things real simple and staying out of the drama.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@notmycircus My husband picked up the food. He said there was a family in there, with the men wearing reindeer ears and the women with funny hats. "His wife made him do that."

He also stopped at Dollar General for some eggs... said it was crawlin' with rednecks. Smile
He said they were shopping with rolling carts, get into it!

NotMyCircus
Registered
(@notmycircus)

Prominent Member

@elsa LOL! I’d believe it. I once saw a man go through a grocery checkout line with an iguana sitting in his shoulder. Did a double take. 

I have reindeer antlers and a Rudolph nose on my car now. Yesterday another lady stared at the antlers. She said she wasn’t used to seeing those much anymore.

Page 1 / 3