Forum

Gardening 2022!

Notifications
Clear all

Gardening 2022!

Myrna
(@myrna)
Eminent Member

Your tomatoes are beautiful.  In our drought I only had a few little ones mature.  And that clove of garlic is gigantic!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

My neighbor planted a whole field of turnip greens for people to come help themselves.  They are sooooo good.

I just picked my 8th grocery bag of them.... for others, this is. I go out in the early morning and get some for a smoothie. People think I'm certifiable! 

But I've gone full-Henry now. They'll have to deal with it.

I take a pear off my tree, with a cutie orange and a bunch of greens and some (filtered) water - blend it - YUM! 

*I hope they don't send the white coats!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

I also planted my garlic... and got a huge blister on my palm which popped before I even knew it was there. It's cramped my style, however the garlic (from the lady who since has died), is in the ground. Hopefully next springs garlic will be part of her legacy.

Italian people really love garlic sooo much. It's like the best gift ever.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
peppers

End of season. Stuffed tons of these and gave away three bags to neighbors... still have work to do!

Allie
(@allie120)
Reputable Member

Those peppers look good. I missed what kind they are. I planted one banana pepper plant this year and the cherry tomato plant just about drowned it out but I got a few off it.

My tomatoes did really well this year. I planted more plum tomatoes than other kinds. I made some sauce. I also love to dehydrate them. I am gathering the last ones of all of them, some each day, and I’ll roast them on the grill with garlic and some of the one onion I grew, lol, until I have enough to blend together for sauce.

Finally! I was not overrun with squash bugs this year! I got a couple spaghetti squash, butternut, and a buttercup. I didn’t get as many squash this year as I have in the past but I wasn’t running our frantically every day trying to kill squash bugs.

Also, I got some garlic from my stepdaughter last year so I planted that and got a few this year. I will plant more this fall.

1 Reply
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@allie120 various peppers but most are "giant marconi", except I'm picking them prematurely (which is fine).  They may also be "carmen" peppers which are similar.

I also planted a lot of sauce tomatoes for the same reason. I was nearly overrun which is how the peppers got away from me as well.

If you don't get squash but right away, I've found it's a losing battle which sucks! 

Allie
(@allie120)
Reputable Member

I’ve never heard of those peppers before!

As for the squash, I did do one thing new last fall. I plant the squash on the same bed because I have a beautiful squash tunnel they can run up. Last fall I got a bunch of very rich dirt and organic material, mixed it up, and added that to that bed. I think maybe it helped? Also, I did manage to get a couple bugs early and kill them.

I am going to add more rich dirt this fall, after everything is done. Next year I am going to move some squash to their beds, to rotate them. 

I have been gardening for years (by no means as expert) but I learn something every year. 

Page 12 / 14