Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Gardening 2022!

giovanni
(@giovanni)
Eminent Member

you've been busy, @elsa!

may everyone's garden be blessed this year!

groundhog steals farmer's crop and eats it in front of his security camera Laugh  

https://twitter.com/mischiefanimals/status/1552929871906709505

1 Reply
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@giovanni that critter is funny!  Garden is going well.  I start out giving everything away and then I get to this point where I am too busy to give anything away!  I pick 50-100 tomatoes a day. Or more!  

I have not made any tomato soup yet but I need to. I have been drying tomatoes as well and stuffing peppers to eat and to freeze.

I have eggplant out there but I think I will bring it to my hair salon - one of the gals there likes it which is unusual for the area. Like tomatillos. I asked at the salon if anyone liked them - they're unfamiliar!

It usually around now that my neighbor starts dumping his excess on me. Not that I am complaining! I do this every year but this garden was sort of purposely deluxe because of the food prices.

I guess I need to tell people to come get it! I don't have time to drive it to them, basically.

I am also going to mess with the pears this year. Last year I gave them all to my neighbor - I was just tired out. This year, I plan to split them 50-50.

I am supposed to teach a class in August. I don't think I can do it 🙁

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
tomato soup

Today's tomatoes are now soup. I'm going to can this today.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
pears

We always have tons of pears. I make pear bread and can them to eat with ice cream. My neighbor makes preserves with them. One tree = many hundreds of pears!

1 Reply
elisa
(@elisa)

Estimable Member

@elsa 

wow those are delicious, and with ice cream sounds so good on a hot summer day ^^

CocoPeaches
(@cocopeaches)
Estimable Member

@elisa Thanks - the greenhouse is a game changer! I'm so lucky to have it.

Now I want a hoop house for the community garden, where we also need a new fence. Price of steel is so high... At home, we finally got our new roof - yay!, and now we need some concrete work done on our front porch and back patio.

A few years ago I planted some bare root apple trees and maple trees, because we do intend to be here for a while. It will take some time before we have this place looking the way we want. I planted one nicer sugar maple that was given to me, and it's looking really good. And lilacs! Need more of those. Planting trees is always a good thing - even if you won't be around to see them fruit, hopefully someone else will! And they also invite wildlife which can be fun. 

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
eggplant

I've already got today's ripe tomatoes converting into sauce on the stove top. Eggplant Parmesan for dinner tonight!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
eggplant parm

Here's this morning's eggplant and tomatoes. I like this recipe. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/eggplant-parmigiana-recipe-2012703
I would never use three onions in something like this buy she said it's her fave meal of all time - it's great!

Page 10 / 10