Notifications
Clear all

Gardening 2021

Page 10 / 11

NotMyCircus
Registered
(@notmycircus)
Prominent Member

This summer, I’ve been helping the wife of one of my clients work her garden.

(At home I can’t really do too much outside other than check on the potted plants—herbs, cherry tomatoes, ornamentals. My elderly housemate took a nasty fall one night and needs to take it easy for awhile. If I’m inside the house, it calms her down.)

Anyway, the wife has a raised bed garden that is absolutely crowded! Last year’s plants resurrected from the dead, alongside the new plants. (She was sure the hail and the blackberry winter we had this spring would kill all hope for her plants.) She will likely have to thin the beds. The zucchini and yellow squash are sucking nutrients from the tomatoes next door so they don’t ripen, while the squash is HUGE. Every day one or both of us is out there, harvesting veggies and killing bugs. It’s kind of fun! We always manage to get surprise cucumbers or peppers or okra. Zukes and cukes are notorious for hiding in the leaves. 

Another client’s neighbor has enormous zucchini coming in—I’m talking nearly the size of a loaf of bread!! He encouraged me to take home as much as I want. I took one home, cut in half. One half is in the fridge for roasting or sautéing, the other half is shredded and in the freezer for zucchini bread or muffins. 🍞 🥒

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Nobody has many tomatoes this year.  It's odd. They are charging $5 a basket - I think it's generally more like $3.

I have them trickling in. I don't know what's going on. But other than that, this has been a great year. Post back surgery, that's why.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member

Here's a lily-loving astrologer - Enjoy!

https://alexasteroidastrology.com/garden-glimpses-july-2021/

NotMyCircus
Registered
(@notmycircus)
Prominent Member

Last weekend I ordered a Greenstalk planter since the company was having their annual sale on them, and Jess from Roots and Refuge Farm provided an additional discount code to her viewers. (It covered the cost of shipping, which works for me.) It arrived yesterday, and I picked it up today. Haven’t had a chance to open it yet. Maybe tomorrow when the Moon and Venus shift to earth signs. 🪴 I’m going to try this thing and see if it helps me grow more plants more efficiently. 

In other news, squash bugs and Japanese beetles are slowly destroying my client’s garden. His wife is about to hang it up for the year. She’s tired of fighting them. I’ll see if we can get a few more batches of veggies in. I will miss picking them. Maybe there’s some U Pick places out in the boonies where I can satisfy my urge to harvest stuff, lol.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Topic starter
(@elsa)
Noble Member
chard

This is for pasta tonight. Yum.

3 Replies
redbird
Registered
(@redbird)

Estimable Member

@elsa Friday, & Friday night, me, my hubs and our kids - pulled “300 dozen” ears of field corn (we’ve had tremendous rain); causing our corn to yield amazing finally. 
One 🙏 good thing about internet & FB- we had it all sold prior, - we feverishly harvested it. We split the earnings with the family that helped pull it, count it, box it up and took incoming phone calls for orders. We are all exhausted but in a good way.

I share this with a very grateful and gracious heart. 

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
(@elsa)

Noble Member

@redbird wow!!! Hearty congrats!

CocoPeaches
Registered
(@cocopeaches)

Reputable Member

@redbird that is awesome!

CocoPeaches
Registered
(@cocopeaches)
Reputable Member

I canned 7 qts tomatoes (from farm stand), shucked/blanched/vacuum sealed/froze a couple cups of peas, and harvested about 100 bulbs of garlic yesterday (less than half of my crop).

I went and harvested 45 lbs of zucchini from the community garden and delivered them to the food pantry this morning. Also picked a beautiful 5.5 lb cabbage from my personal plot there. Going to sauté the outer leaves in butter to go with dinner tonight. Yum.

Have the dehydrator going 24/7 with herbs, and the convection oven drying out tomato skins.

…Yippee! 🤠

1 Reply
redbird
Registered
(@redbird)

Estimable Member

@cocopeaches Wowerzers!!! You have been busy too. I’m prepping today, our tomatoes will be ready in about 3 days. 
I did the oven skins before - but everyone eats them before I can can them. Thanks for the reminder, I may bake some this time! So good. 
I’ve never used the dehydrator to dry my herbs..... hum, I need to Google that. Great ideas !! Thanks for sharing. The deer ate all our peas and most of our beans. Japanese Beatles are also hitting our beans. But - man did we have insane amounts of corn, peppers and tomatoes. 
I love the garden posts! Love the photos too.

Page 10 / 11