Gardening - 2020

Notifications
Clear all

Gardening - 2020  

Page 22 / 23

NotMyCircus
Registered
Noble Member

If any of you have surplus harvest and can't find enough takers--some food pantries are now taking them. (There's one in the county I used to live in that actually grows food and adds it to their donation boxes before delivering them. 

Also, the organization AmpleHarvest.org may be able to help. 

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin
Famed Member
garden bye

That's the elder neighbor, turning my garden under. He's such a great neighbor. I haven't lived next to someone so great since my grandfather, Henry, was near.

Allie
Registered
Prominent Member

My garden has been my joy this year. It usually is but last year we made raised beds so I was a little later than I would have liked. Also, I got squash bugs 🙁 and wiped out many of my pumpkins. And baby bunnies eating things until we put up a fence! 

This year, it’s been a bountiful harvest of cherry tomatoes and squash and pumpkins. Regular tomatoes are coming in one, two at a time. We haven’t had a lot of rain but I’m fortunate to be able to water it.

I’m putting up roasted tomato sauce in the freezer when I get enough tomatoes and cherry tomatoes. I cured some spaghetti squash, pumpkin, butternut squash and they’re stored in the basement. I’ve got more on the vines waiting to ripen. A few packages of peas and beans in the freezer, too.

We went blueberry picking so I froze a lot of them and canned  some blueberry jam. We also picked up some local apples and I canned apple butter. I’ll be getting more apples to make more.

We also picked up a dehydrator. I’ve got tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, blueberries, apples, mangoes, peaches. Apricots, too but they are gone 😋. 

I started seeds indoors and that helped cope during quarantine. Then having the garden to work in all summer and now...I love to be in there and just love it!

8 Replies
Elsa
 Elsa
Admin

Famed Member

@allie120 This sounds magnificent!

Allie
Registered

Prominent Member

@elsa It is! I love it so much!

JoFrance
Registered

Prominent Member

@allie120, that sounds great.  There is nothing like sauce from home grown tomatoes.  One year, I grew Roma tomatoes and made sauce from them and it was great.

I never tried a dehydrator.  I bet that's good.

Right now I have grapes (if the deer didn't eat them all).  They were doing good last time I looked.  I made jelly from them one year.

Allie
Registered

Prominent Member

@jofrance Awesome! We have grapes, too, when they can be protected from the birds. I’ve made grape jelly from them, too! They’re Concords so that and juice is what they’re good for.

The dehydrator is fun and although there is a chart of times and information online, there is a learning curve. (How long without scorching but long enough to remove moisture so the food doesn’t get moldy. Timing it so things aren’t done at 2 am when you’re asleep, etc.)

My favorites, so far, are apples (Rings with skin on is very easy), cherry and regular tomatoes, apricots, peaches, mangoes. Blueberries are ok but they seem to be a food to add to things. I was looking forward to cherries but I couldn’t get the tart ones so they came out more like raisins. But they’re good to add to other foods.

I tried kale for kale chips but my kale variety is curly leaf and it was too thin. Probably Tuscan would be better.

Sometimes I make a cheese, cracker, nuts, maybe some cured meat/prosciutto plate with wine for us. Add some of the dried fruits and it’s wonderful!

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin

Famed Member

I used to be concerned about drying temps but after ten years, I dry everything on high. It it's time to sleep, turn it off, then back on in the morning.

Allie
Registered

Prominent Member

@elsa That’s what I found, too. Turn it on before bed then it’s good. Or if it still needs more time, I can monitor it throughout the morning. I love it. It’s nice to have an additional method of food preservation.

Elsa
 Elsa
Admin

Famed Member

I'm cleaning my dehydrator today, for the last time this season. I like how the years are marked in this way.

Allie
Registered

Prominent Member

@elsa What kinda of foods do you like to do?

I’m trying bananas for the first time because some were getting past the point we like them. Then I have so many cherry tomatoes I want to do.

JoFrance
Registered
Prominent Member

I went to look at the grapes today and they were all gone.  There were one or two left and they were really sweet, but too many seeds.  I think they're best as Deer food.

I remember making jelly with them.  They had to be strained because of all the seeds and skin.  I messed it up because I cooked it too long.  I had Concord Grape Glue when I got done.  Live and learn.

I don't think I'll do that again.  The Deer seem to get them first.  Animals are smart when it comes to things like that.

Allie
Registered
Prominent Member
76FD9277 0C20 4E83 AEBD D5E31BD80126

I was just out in the garden. Lots of cherry tomatoes again, green beans, snipped off some lemon thyme to dry, and decided some of the squashes were ready to pick. I loved the way they looked together so I made a quick photo shoot camera 😄

4 Replies
Hades Moon
Registered

Prominent Member

@allie120 Looks good! Yum 😋

soup
 soup
Registered

Noble Member

@allie120 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎

JoFrance
Registered

Prominent Member

@allie120, There's nothing like the satisfaction of growing your own food.   Its an inspiration for next year.  Great job, Allie!

Allie
Registered

Prominent Member

@jofrance Absolutely! Last I had an early pumpkin that I was going to bake. Before I cut into it, I was almost sad because it was raising some thing from a seed and nurturing it to the end. 😅 Silly and I’ve grown many things and many pumpkins, but it is truly a satisfaction and an important thing to know how to do.

CocoPeaches
Registered
Reputable Member

After a couple light frosts last week, and a hard frost last night: it's game over here in the Northwoods. Womp womp. Even my lettuce in my little greenhouse bubble got zapped! I had an awesome growing season, though. And there's still yet to harvest hardy crops like cabbage, carrots, and rutabagas...

I completed many successful garden projects at home this year, accomplished a ton at the community garden, and even my husband's food plot planted for deer was a big improvement over last year - we planted turnips, and have been watching many fawns and does munching and frolicking about on our trail camera, and just finally got a nice 6 point buck coming into our plot. So we'll be transitioning from gardening to hunting right about now. Over the next month I'll clean up, amend, and mulch my beds, tuck in a few more perennials if I can, and plant garlic!

Page 22 / 23

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 2MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved