Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Gardening - 2020
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 7949
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
Monday, July 6, 2020 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yesterday, I finally gave up on the zucchini and pulled it all up. Flowers and no fruit. My housemates had thrown a pile of extension cord right on my zucchini plant (by accident or on purpose, doesn’t matter)–and that was the last straw. As I pulled it out, I noticed that the root on each plant was small–and a couple of them had extended a long root horizontally through the soil. So I hope they weren’t invading my housemate’s plants or trying to choke them!

Who cares, I’m moving out anyway by the end of the month. The universe is kicking me out of here. 

CocoPeaches
Star
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1408
Tuesday, July 7, 2020 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Best of luck to you finding a new place where you may have more space to grow!

NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Wednesday, July 8, 2020 - 9:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks! I talked to one of my housemates and she said her fiance accidentally threw the cord onto my zucchini (he was probably working with the cord and casually threw it into the planter). So she made it clear that they would never do that to me on purpose! 🙂

I feel better mentally than I did the other day. But yeah, she and I agreed the zucchini just didn’t have a deep enough place to grow. I’m learning. The other plants are doing pretty well. Still waiting on my dahlia plant to send me a happy little flower. I trimmed the citronella plant and placed some of the branches in water because they were too pretty and fragrant to throw away. So they’re in my room to cheer me up while I pack. 

Sue Ellen
KY USA; Cap Sun, Cancer Moon, Taurus rising
Celestial sphere
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 3600
Thursday, July 9, 2020 - 7:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tobacco hornworms have shown up. I saw one on the cat water bowl. I found seven more on the tomato plants.  They are still small at a little over one inch. Most were still solid green. When I found some last year the were older at four to five inches long. They are voracious eaters.   

Tobacco hornworms have a red tail/horn. Tomato worms have a blue tail/horn.  

DAB8ECD3-5505-4184-AD45-A142FAFE57BD.jpegImage Enlarger

Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Forum Posts: 32463
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
Friday, July 10, 2020 - 7:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We tend to get the tomato worms late in the season. I still don’t have (ripe) tomatoes yet, except for in dribbles. This year is whack!

I am hoping to have my surgery, late August. Concerned now because they are closing hospitals again! But on the hope this will happen, I am making plans to shut down my garden at that time. I usually extend the season.

Basically, I am ridding myself of anything marginal and putting up as much as I can / freezing or whatever because there is an end date at this point.

In a way, I’m glad. As much as I would like to be out of pain, I think it would have been hard for me to stay out of my garden if it had been done in June. As it is, if I go in August, I’ll just tell my neighbors, it’s all theirs. Come and get it! )

The following users say thanks to Elsa for this post:

Warped by Wuthering Heights
Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 3:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

20200726_151711_resized.jpgImage Enlarger20200726_151652_resized.jpgImage Enlarger

Picked stuff from the garden four times today, plus my neighbor gave me a bunch of tomatoes, squash and more cukes.

Dried tomatoes yesterday, started making sauce today. Giant Greek salad for lunch, froze some squash and peppers. 

I think I will stuff some of these other peppers tomorrow; it will be my 5th batch.

Also, six loaves of zucchini bread baked so far. I have some kraut made but am not making pickles because I only really like the sweet ones and that’s too much sugar!

My neighbor bought 1/2 bushel of beets, they cost $20. That’s for 25 pounds or so. She was complaining about the price. Her husband is going to can them with his sister.

They’ve been canning beans over the last week or so. They still have corn and okra coming.

I still have Swiss chart, planted early season. I though in a late batch, along with some romaine. I will probably have surgery before they’re really ready to go, but someone will want the stuff.

In a way, I can’t wait for winter. This food is going to be a great comfort when I spend X number of months, no able to bend. Hopefully surgery is not a disaster.  Big question, how the length of my legs might wind up!

NotMyCircus, Warped by Wuthering Heights
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 4:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My garden is having mixed results, but overall hanging in there. I had left it alone for awhile due to having to focus on other things. Ok and behold, some of my plants were struggling! 

The citronella and lemon balm had browning on the leaf edges so I think the heat is drying them out. I’ll have to water them often instead of waiting for random pop-up showers to do it. The dahlia has not bloomed. I talked to my housemate and she told me you have to put them in the ground. (I made the same mistake with the zucchini.)

The herbs are doing okay. The heat and bugs are trying to take them out. I found leaves folded up with some white thing laying inside them, so I discarded those leaves immediately. The sage leaves near the stalk had sort of withered, so I pruned it. 

GOOD NEWS: I dried some lemon balm and made a cup of tea with some of it. YUM. Smells delicious.

JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Forum Posts: 3406
Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sometimes Dahlias bloom late in the season.  I grew mine in pots and it would be towards the end of August that I got blooms.  Sometimes though, you get a bad bulb.  I’ve had a couple of duds.

I never put mine in the ground because the little Fawns always ate them.  I can move pots around if they start to get interested.

I didn’t plant much this year and I’m glad I didn’t.  The weather has been incredibly hot, dry and sunny.  My Basil plant hates it, I think its a goner.  My mint, thyme, oregano and sage are doing well.  My beautiful Hydrangea bushes started out so nice, but days on end of 90-95 degrees has burned the blooms.  They are very sad looking.  My pepper plants never grew.  They look like the day I planted them.

My grape vines though are out of control.  They grew into a big bush and there are lots of grapes, but they’re not done yet  They seem to like the hot, sunny weather.

The following users say thanks to JoFrance for this post:

NotMyCircus
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Monday, July 27, 2020 - 1:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My sweet basil’s been a bit yellow. Not sure if it’s too much rain, or because they’re getting root-bound. 

When I planted the dahlia in a bigger pot, I switched to a much bigger one but only filled it 1/3 of the way with soil (per the instructions). I wonder if it just needs more soil so it can stretch out its roots? I’ll also keep what you said in mind about the late blooming. 

Maybe nex year I’ll invest in some grow bags for the things that need to go in the ground, and see how that goes. I’ll admit I’m feeling a bit envious of all these homesteaders and home gardeners who are bringing fruits and veggies in by the armful.

JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 7:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Dahlia may not like the bigger pot.  Smaller is probably better.  You could dig down a little in the dirt to see what the bulb is doing.  It should have some kind of offshoot.  

Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Monday, July 27, 2020 - 4:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

tomato-neighbor.jpgImage EnlargerNeighbor gave me these and more… I have a lot of tomatoes so I am going to share these. I have a whole yard full too, ripening. She told me to come over and take whatever I wanted, period.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Monday, July 27, 2020 - 7:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You have such a tremendous garden, Elsa, and good neighbors on top of that.  That’s great.

NMC, supposedly the yellow basil is caused by either too much water or lack of nutrients in the soil.  I’m not sure plant food or new soil will help my plant or if I’ll even bother, but thats what I read about it.

I do have an indoor basil plant.  I took one of those hydroponic supermarket basil plants you can buy that had roots and planted it in water.  Its doing well and I want to plant it in dirt, but so far the taste of the basil is just not as good as one grown in dirt.  Its an experiment I tried before and when I planted the basil in dirt it died.  I’ll see what happens this time.  Experimentation is always a fun learning experience.

I tried bags before with potatoes.  It didn’t work for me even though it sounds like a good way to grow them.  Maybe its a good way to grow things, but I didn’t like them.  There was a problem with the plants getting enough light.

The following users say thanks to JoFrance for this post:

NotMyCircus
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Monday, July 27, 2020 - 9:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s likely too much water, since they were recently fertilized. Seems like they were greener when I had the seedlings growing indoors, where the air is dry.

Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 4:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We need, chad, to Dx!

As for my neighbors, the husband retired last year so he really went after it. Giant garden. His wife is having surgery this week, so she’s got to take a break.

My garden is the best I’ve had since I moved here. Anyway, I am going to town to drop off baskets with people or meet them to exchange in once case, plus give stuff to the new (covid) hair dresser. I am overrun. Then tomorrow night, another friend is coming home from a short trip so she’s going to take stuff too.

By then, I am pretty sure, I’m going to be overrun with new stuff. Jilly can’t take anymore at the moment. It’s a good problem to have and a great feeling to have enough to share.

There is a man my husband works with who generally gives us up to a bushel of beans and tons of corn too. People who are opting to try to garden are making a good investment of time.

My neighbor is getting into Italian food now. I just gave her some of my canned sauce from last year. “This was made with those tomatoes you gave me last year.” She actually gasped.

Anyway, it’s quite a bit of work and heartbreaking at times, BUT, when you get a harvest like this – wow!

Neighbor picks her tomato early, to be the animals that eat them. She sets them on an outdoor table or surface in the sun. She easily has hundreds of tomatoes, large tomatoes. If you count her cherry tomatoes or what they call “tommy toes”?? Thousands. She’s got them on the vine too. It’s no wonder she’s telling me to take what I want.

My tomatoes are behind hers. They’ll have theirs canned or otherwise gone by the time of my surgery. I will still have tomatoes so they can come get whatever they need.

The highway near our house in, Aurora, CO, has been blocked by protesters, people getting shot and killed. I am so glad I moved. I love my bucolic life!

Australian friend wants tomatoes, parsley and cukes. She already has scones.
Massachusetts friend wants squash, cukes, tomatoes and zucchini bread.
Italian (from Florida) friend wants tomatoes, basil, squash and peppers.
(New) hair lady wants tomatoes.
Large family I know, wants whatever I have and (more) zucchini bread. They will be my last stop.

So these are today’s deliveries!

My hot peppers under-performed this year. But yeah. I’m happy! There is nothing I’d rather do that give people fresh or otherwise, special food!

aspire, JoFrance
aspire
Pisces Sun - Cap Asc - Leo Moon
Sun
Members
Forum Posts: 552
Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 7:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re not growing vegetables – you’re growing little packets of love and joy and happiness!!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 1202
Currently Online: Elsa, soup
Guest(s) 91
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Newest Members:
Mary A
Castleflower
before_the_dawn
Forum Stats: