Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Gardening - 2020
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 7877
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 8:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aww, thank you! 😁  It could be the Taurus Moon. My mom has one as well. She’s had  had mixed results with gardening over the years, mostly good ones though. I still remember, while I was still living at home,  the time she hung a line across my bed near the ceiling. Then she tied sprigs of sweet basil upside down along the entire length of the line. The smell was absolutely heavenly!

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

Hades Moon
aspire
Pisces Sun - Cap Asc - Leo Moon
Sun
Members
Forum Posts: 532
Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 3:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the tip about spacing, Elsa. I gave away several of my monsters and I’ll stir fry a couple of more. Now everyone has room – not two feet! But it’s better.

Boy would it be fun to grow like you are growing. Bet you are so glad not to be in Colorado any more!

The following users say thanks to aspire for this post:

redbird
Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Forum Posts: 32349
Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 4:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks! But I had a great garden in Colorado; more successful then I have been here. Old pic:

tomatoes-july-17-2012.jpgImage Enlarger

That was the year I canned 70+ jars of sauce and about 50 jars of tomato soup!

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

The following users say thanks to Elsa for this post:

aspire
Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 6:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

this is a weird, free program, I’ve used for 25 years.

https://www.irfanview.net/

Open, crop, size, easy… you can also “save for web”. When you do that, it compresses the photo AND REMOVES LOCATION INFO and such.

It also allow pixelizing and such… just download all the “plugins”. It’s very easy to use.

Images up to about 500 pixels wide work in the forum. For reference, the blog pictures are sized 300 pixels wide. This is for fast loading.

I was utterly un-techy 25 years ago. I was able to mess with pictures within 5 min.

Good luck!

NotMyCircus, JoFrance
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 8:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you, Elsa! I’ll have to try that next time I post pictures. Imgur used to be fairly easy to use–now it’s giving me fits.

JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Forum Posts: 3361
Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 7:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I forgot about that program.  I used it many years ago and it works great!

The following users say thanks to JoFrance for this post:

Elsa
Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 10:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

broc.jpgImage Enlargercauli.jpgImage Enlargerlettuce.jpgImage Enlargerromaine.jpgImage Enlarger

Coming along!

Having a big Greek salad for lunch.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

aspire, Hades Moon
CocoPeaches
Star
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1394
Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 1:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Those are nice heads of broccoli and cauliflower! I love Greek salad. I had my first home-grown salad greens for Mother’s day.

I just got my broccoli, cabbage, brussels in the ground yesterday, as well as chard and lettuce transplants. I would like to have celery and onions planted too, and sow more seeds, but I’ve been crunched for time… Our growing season is only 95 days, so gardening here is the definition of a time crunch 🙂

We had a night in the 20s not too long ago, but now the forecast is actually looking really good for warm weather crops. I’ve got my tomatoes, peppers, and squash ready to go, but I will wait until next weekend to plant those just to be safe. Rain rain rain the next few days… and lots of bare root trees and shrubs to plant.

Well it’s raining now, so I’m going to go into the garage to assemble my new trailer! A very kind person fixed up an older John Deere riding mower as a belated wedding gift for my husband and me. It is sweet! Then for my birthday, my family helped pimp it out… The trailer is heavy duty and it can dump. My husband tracked down an out of production, but still new in the box, bagger attachment for the mower. This will allow me to make mulch with grass clippings and dead leaves. This is all very exciting to me.

My husband did a lot of necessary tree work during the quarantine shut down, so our yard looks great and I’m super excited to get everything planted and just enjoy the beauty of it all. My garden/landscaping has become an obsession. I can’t even bother to post any garden updates on my blog or social media because I’m too busy doing stuff outdoors or researching how to do it!

Our community garden is still closed, but tomorrow I’m going to host a 4-H garden club meeting on Zoom for local kids… I’m nervous and excited about that.

CocoPeaches
Star
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1394
Monday, May 18, 2020 - 4:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I did my Zoom thing today and I think it went well. I had 6 kids ages 7-11 and they were all engaged! It was fun. 2 other adults were there because it is 4-H and we’re partnering with another organization. It was fun!

We are having a big rain here. I think summer might appear on the other end of this? My lettuce is so happy. And so are all of my seedlings. Can’t believe Memorial day is next weekend in the USA.

ETA I discovered 2 packs of radishes, 2 packs of carrots, and 1 pack of rutabaga seeds that I had left in a tray in a covered space that got wet from all the rain. All the seeds were soaked, but I think it was in a good way (other than the disintegrating paper packets). I meant to plant them a couple of days ago but I didn’t get to it. So today was the day. I spread those pre-soaked seeds over 3 large areas in my garden and I feel very accomplished. I will just thin out where I need to plant other things.

AND ETA! I ate fresh rhubarb for the first time and it was delightful.

The following users say thanks to CocoPeaches for this post:

JoFrance
Tango
Sun
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 728
Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 9:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Gosh I love the Internet! I used to garden extensively, then not so much… Anyway, this year I ended up saving seeds from a spaghetti squash and I have started a few plants, which are coming along nicely (in pots in the house).

Now, my problem is where to put them outside. I have memories from way-back-when that any vining type of plant I grew never went in the direction I wanted! I always thought they would “go for the sun”, but, nope! I could never figure it out!

Well tonight I googled the matter… and FINALLY found the answer!!

So if you grow pumpkins, winter squashes and such, here’s the answer:

https://giantveggiegardener.co…..will-grow/

Basically, take note of the first true leaf. The plant will grow in the opposite direction! 🙂

The following users say thanks to Tango for this post:

Hades Moon, CocoPeaches, redbird
Satsun
SuperStar
Members

Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1509
Friday, May 22, 2020 - 6:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, interesting info!

Strange coincidence, this year I stuck a squash seed in a flower pot on my balcony (first time I’ve ever done this) and it actually grew – in whatever direction it wanted. Dunno if it’ll get to vegetable stage though.

I’m always curious about seeds, plant random stuff just to see what happens. Then when plants appear I don’t know what to do with them! (very small balcony) I tell myself, no more of this botanical funny business & then keep on doing it.

Years ago I grew a ginkgo from seed. It got big so I didn’t know what to do, proposed it half jokingly to a neighbor across the street, without really thinking he’d consider this, but he accepted…! Now it’s about 2,50 meters tall. Gotta say, I’m very happy every time I see it confused !

The following users say thanks to Satsun for this post:

Tango, Hades Moon
Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Friday, May 22, 2020 - 8:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s a good tip, Tango. Thank you!

Hades Moon, Tango
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 11:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I ended up buying a can of Sevin dust and carefully applying it to the bases of all my plants. I wore rubber gloves, took pinchfuls from a small bowl, and carefully applied to the part of each plant that goes in the ground. A bit got on some of the leaves, but I tried to avoid that. This stuff can kill honeybees and that’s a problem. I didn’t know it could be a bad idea for herbs. There was no wind today and it won’t rain until tomorrow evening. So I guess I’ll see if I did the right thing, or if this will wind up killing my plants and/or rendering them toxic.  🙁  

My zucchini are being attacked by aphids so I had to do something. They’re flowering rapidly at this point but the blooms were closed today. I was very careful not to get sevin dust on the blooms because that can kill bees. But I can’t 100% guarantee that none did–it’s a fine powder. I also briefly touched the powder with my fingers. Hopefully this won’t affect my health.

Guess I’ll see how this goes. If I have to, I’ll just stick to insecticidal soap. 

Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 5:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pests don’t bother herbs, that I’ve seen. Your zucchini will not be toxic!

NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 8:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, good. I read stuff online about it and wondered what I’d done to my plants!  Lol!

The herbs and lemon balm have been doing great and no signs of pest activity, so the the Sevin on them was done out of an of abundance of caution. They probably didn’t need it. I’ll likely just use it on the non-herbal plants like the zucchini though, going forward. I’m learning! 🙂

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

Elsa
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 1202
Currently Online: Buendia, PurpleStarGirl
Guest(s) 35
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Newest Members:
Patricia
Susan