Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Gardening - 2020
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 7715
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
Monday, April 20, 2020 - 9:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

For now I’m more worried about the deer than the bugs. My housemate keeps warning me about the deer, that I may not be able to keep them from eating my zucchini.Ā 

Well–I plan on getting some deer and rabbit repellant. (I saw a rabbit in the yard yesterday, so the’re around, too.) There are sprays and pellets that are biodegradable and safe for the environment, and won’t poison my vegetables. They’ll just make the animals do this:Ā Ā 

Ā 

Run away! | Monty Python And The Holy Grail | Know Your MemeImage Enlarger

NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Monday, April 20, 2020 - 10:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As far as bugs go…Mom told me I will need to check under the leaves of the plants, every evening. Every leaf. She also said if I see a beeeeauuuutiful red and black bug hanging around–KILL IT!!! That thing lays eggs that kill the plant. eek_gif

CocoPeaches
Star
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1373
Tuesday, April 21, 2020 - 9:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yup that’s my preferred method. Doesn’t hurt to check in the morning too šŸ™‚

Beautiful red and black bug is the adult squash vine borer. They lay eggs near the base of the plant, and then those larvae chew their way into the stem. This causes wilting. It’s possible to surgically remove them and save the plant if you catch them early. You might want to check for holes near base of stem of your zucchini if those pests are common in your area. In addition to checking under leaves for eggs of course! Squash bugs are different and they look like regular old stink bugs.

Not trying to freak you out with all these warnings. Your attention to detail and careful nature will bring you lots of success, I’m sure!

The following users say thanks to CocoPeaches for this post:

NotMyCircus
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Friday, April 24, 2020 - 3:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It looks like I may get my zucchini in the ground this weekend. My housemate said I can plant it near the garden, but it’ll probably get eaten. I have deer and rabbit spray, but there’s also a big groundhog around and I’m told pretty much nothing will stop him.Ā 

There’s also a big garden bed normally reserved for flowers in the pool area. She said I could plant it there, too, though it would have to share the bed with other plants (elephant’s ear, lilacs, etc.).

As for the herbs, I’m thinking of converting a soft plastic tub that serves as my medicine cabinet into a place for some of my herbs. (There are other places I can store the stuff in the bin.) My seedlings are getting rootbound. There are two power drills here, I found out, but the smaller one isn’t going to be strong enough to bust holes through hard plastic. So I’ll see how the soft plastic bin works out.Ā 

NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Saturday, April 25, 2020 - 9:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I got my zucchini in! laugh

My housemate was nice enough to create a space for it in the poolside planter. It will have to share space with a few other plants, but should be happy there. She put some garden soil in, and I could see earthworms moving around in it. Elsa was right. I won’t need to add anything to the soil.Ā 

I also decided to clean and repurpose a bin in my closet that held my medicine cabinet. Found another place to out the stuff. The bin is #5 plastic, so it’s safe for food plants. Anyway, I washed it up, poked some holes in it (this cracked the bottom on one side–oh well, at least it’ll drain well, right? LOL). Then I put my plants in. Technically it’s not really deep enough for some of the herbs, but at least they’re not getting rootbound in seedling pots anymore.Ā 

Tomorrow, my plan is to repot the lemon balm and sage, start basil seeds in an egg carton, add soil and fertilizer to my dahlia bulb, plant the green onions I was allowed to dig up from someone’s yard, and maybe spray the zukes with the deer and rabbit repellant. Oh yeah, and check the zukes for any bugs or egg layings.

whacky_gif whacky_gif

When I get a chance I’ll have to post some pictures.

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

CocoPeaches
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Friday, May 1, 2020 - 8:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My sweet basil seeds are sprouting. Yay!! šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±šŸŒ±

I still haven’t posted those pictures. So I need to get on that. Tomorrow I an to take more.

Hades Moon
Hades Moon
Star
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 1003
Friday, May 1, 2020 - 8:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cool šŸ˜Ž. I really need to start getting my hands dirty myself. Iā€™d imagine this process to be very rewarding as you literally reap what you sow. Besides that, I love the taste of home grown produce. Nothing beats it.

The following users say thanks to Hades Moon for this post:

NotMyCircus
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Sunday, May 3, 2020 - 6:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yesterday evening, I sampled leaves off of a couple of my herbs. I swear, the second the oregano leaf hit my tongue, I thought about spaghetti. šŸ šŸž

Tango, Hades Moon
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Sunday, May 3, 2020 - 11:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Tried posting my garden pictures with the Imgur app. They’re not uploading, even just one at a time. Maybe my Wi-Fi signal is weak.

Does anyone know another way I can post photos on here?

Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Forum Posts: 32160
Saturday, May 9, 2020 - 3:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We had a freeze last night and it’s getting down again, tonight. It’s like 15 degrees below average. Both my neighbor and I have been caught.

It’s been back-breaking, trying to cover everything… there is a lot.

It looks like most everything will be saved. I just hope it doesn’t affect yield too badly. I will not be able to drive for about a month. We really need the garden this year, never mind I know there are people around here who could use some free produce, so hopefully it will work out.

I actually might have to cover two more night, though last night was the worst.

Jilly’s cane is out there, holding up a tarp. šŸ™‚

JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Forum Posts: 3331
Saturday, May 9, 2020 - 6:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We had a freeze here too and will have another one tonight.Ā  We had a dusting of snow and some snow flurries today.

I haven’t planted anything yet because its been so cold here.Ā  Our last freeze date is May 15, so I guess we’re going down to the wire this year.

Hopefully your plants will be okay being that you’ve covered them.

NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Saturday, May 9, 2020 - 4:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I’ve tried every which way to get the pictures uploaded, but now I’ve lost my Imgur password and Google Drive won’t share unless I specify who I want to share with. I’m lost at this point.

Anyway, the plants are doing great. Even my zucchini, which is still struggling, perked up after the mulch and the rain. I’m waiting on some neem oil to come in the mail so I can combine it with my Sal-Suds cleanser to make a natural insecticidal soap for my plants.

aspire
Pisces Sun - Cap Asc - Leo Moon
Sun
Members
Forum Posts: 502
Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 10:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I planted too much in too small a space!! The cauliflower is enormous, shading the other stuff.Ā 

Would you remove some? I hate to do it, I worked so hard to get them to thrive!
BE281469-5170-494D-A60D-3735BB25F0FB.jpegImage Enlarger

aspire
Pisces Sun - Cap Asc - Leo Moon
Sun
Members
Forum Posts: 502
Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 10:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is how it looked when I first put them all in.60EFBC0E-C6FD-4601-9FAB-6C9950230BD1.jpegImage Enlarger

Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Forum Posts: 32160
Sunday, May 10, 2020 - 11:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

garden-now.jpgImage EnlargerCabbage needs to be about 2′ apart. Those are broccoli in the foreground but you can see the cabbage.

Ā 

Just imagine a giant head of cabbage in the center of each plant. They do need room.

That looks light green cabbage on the right lower corner?Ā  You only have room for one plant there.

Can you dig up the outer ones and pop them in the ground somewhere else?

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

The following users say thanks to Elsa for this post:

aspire
Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 1202
Currently Online: anonymoushermit
Guest(s) 82
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Newest Members:
Gayle