Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Gardening - 2020
CocoPeaches
Star
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1373
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
Sunday, April 5, 2020 - 9:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh boy, well they really are very attractive! What a gorgeous backdrop for your garden.

JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Forum Posts: 3331
Sunday, April 5, 2020 - 8:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love those trees even though they’re a pain.  The birds love to congregate in them too.  Trees are a lot of work to keep up.  I have some Dogwood trees that I absolutely love, but they’re pretty delicate.  

Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Forum Posts: 32160
Sunday, April 5, 2020 - 11:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My neighbor went out last week and shaped every single one of them. I’m talking about using a chainsaw on a ladder. I walked out and saw him in action. Went over the help.

He had his big headphones on; gift from his son. He was startled and happy to see me. “I really tore ’em up!” he said. I’ll say! It’s a LONG row on a slope.

I helped him drag the limbs to load in his truck (many loads), he drove them to his burn pile. He cut limbs from the bottom, big enough for firewood. Man, it was a lot of wood.

I noticed he had the whole business burned to ash within a few days. I think there are like 20 trees, all perfect, thanks to this man’s care and skill.

This is his first summer, retired. I thought I was going to have back surgery but probably won’t due to coronavirus.

Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Sunday, April 5, 2020 - 11:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

PS they’re on the property line. 🙂

CocoPeaches
Star
Limited Access
Monday, April 6, 2020 - 9:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

@NMC – I’m responding to your random thought here 🙂 I’m not totally sure about the area where you live (I think GA?), but as far as I know – garlic is ideally planted the Fall, and harvested in early Summer. I don’t want you to get bummed out if it doesn’t produce for you over the summer!

If you’ve got a container and some soil, I would start with something easier. I bet you can order seeds online. MIgardener sells packets for 99cents and has great tutorial videos for beginners… specifically for growing in containers. 

Radishes are the fastest, easiest thing to grow. Lettuce is also fast. Consider your regional climate, and the sun/shade situation you have to work with, and do a little research about how to grow something that you like to eat! Set yourself up for success! It’s definitely not too late.

JoFrance mentioned bush beans which are a great idea (as opposed to pole beans which would require a trellis.)

The following users say thanks to CocoPeaches for this post:

NotMyCircus
CocoPeaches
Star
Limited Access
Monday, April 6, 2020 - 9:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My husband and I watched the Back to Eden documentary on Prime Video last night. I’ve been trying to tell him about wood chip mulch for years, and now he finally gets it… It’s full of references to the bible, too. Check it out if you haven’t already!

NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 7715
Thursday, April 9, 2020 - 10:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

iTaGWhM.jpgImage Enlarger

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

JoFrance, Libra Noir
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 7715
Thursday, April 9, 2020 - 10:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s the plants I bought today. Green zucchini, kitchen herbs, lemon balm. 

I went today to an open-air nursery recommended by locals. It’s exempt under the governor’s shelter-in-place order because they sell plants that grow food. 🙂  “Social distancing” is also pretty easy when everyone’s outside looking at plants.

It was real nice. I wore a mask (so did pretty much every old person there). I look forward to not having to wear one someday because the weather was fantastic and I could hardly breathe with the thing on!

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

Libra Noir
Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Friday, April 10, 2020 - 6:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have my rosemary in a pot… it survived the winter, left outside.

Parsley (in the garden), also survived. Cilantro too. Just FYI. You might look into this and plant in places were you might see them come back / self seed.

The squash is an annual. It needs sun and will grow into a 4′ X 4′ mound… just get very huge, very fast. It does not like cold temps… so wait to put it in the ground, a couple weeks.

Zucchini is prolific. What you have there will produce 30-50 squash, maybe more. 🙂

The following users say thanks to Elsa for this post:

NotMyCircus
CocoPeaches
Star
Limited Access
Thursday, April 9, 2020 - 11:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beautiful! Sounds like a lovely day. Those look like some nice healthy seedlings. Nice choice of herbs. You will love watching these grow over the summer heart

The following users say thanks to CocoPeaches for this post:

NotMyCircus
JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Friday, April 10, 2020 - 7:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

April in NJ is always iffy.  Our last freeze date is May 15.  Today we actually got some snow 🙁 .  Not much and it has melted but we have a freeze tonight.  Its suddenly like winter, but by Sunday we’re back up to 70 degrees, at least for a day.  I’m waiting on buying plants.

I bought some fresh Basil at the supermarket to cook with.  It actually looks like a nice plant, so I’m going to put it in a pot with dirt.  It was Hydroponically grown, so I don’t know if it will work, but what the hey, I’ll try it.  Definitely I’ll keep it inside.  Basil hates the cold.

The following users say thanks to JoFrance for this post:

Elsa
Libra Noir
Milky Way
Members
Forum Posts: 7972
Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 12:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I finally was able to plant! I think my life is actually starting to settle down, thank you God. 

So, we had some horse troughs here on my moms property (they got rid of their horses a few years ago). I filled them halfway with pine cones, which are in abundance here (several pines), and then with good local organic soil. I planted some watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumbers, kale, broccoli, spinach and bell peppers. And I got one tomato plant. So, starting small, but its a start! I also ordered some echinacea seeds that Ill do in pots. Those take two years to flower I guess. 

Also, my son wants to plant some root vegetables. I think I want to do those in the ground, but would have to make some fencing because there is so many rabbits here (and they are so frickin cute too). Not sure how I want to go about all that yet though. I probably need to do that pretty soon. 

The following users say thanks to Libra Noir for this post:

Elsa, JoFrance
Elsa
I work here.
Admin
Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 5:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s a great start!  Taking up gardening was one of the best choices I ever made. 🙂

The following users say thanks to Elsa for this post:

Libra Noir
JoFrance
Celestial sphere
Members
Saturday, April 18, 2020 - 5:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Once you start gardening you get hooked.  There is nothing as satisfying as planting a seed or a tiny seedling, nurturing it, watching it grow and then eating it.  Yeah, root vegetables are definitely better in the ground.  I did grow carrots in a large pot, but they were kind of anemic and I tried potatoes in a large planter bed – also, one of those grow bags.  None of them worked well at all.  I still got some veggies, but I’d never do it that way again.

The following users say thanks to JoFrance for this post:

Libra Noir
Libra Noir
Milky Way
Members
Forum Posts: 7972
Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 2:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, Im really excited! 

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 1202