Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Early days of internet (1994, 1995, 1996, etc, etc), what were you doing then?
anonymoushermit
Celestial sphere
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 3531
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
Friday, January 4, 2019 - 2:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whoa. This you have to retake the class after losing all that work? eek

Tango
Planetary ruler
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 477
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 11:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What an excellent topic! Thanks for creating it an-h!

I started working in the high tech field in 1984 so when the ‘public’ Internet came along in the 1990’s, I was right there. I worked for a vanguard company and we were partners with other Biggies so while everybody was basically making do with dial-up, I had industrial-grade prototype DNS and VPN at home (VERY fast).

I spent many a night up, on my own time, teaching myself to code HTML. This was all done by hand. Everybody on the Internet was helping each other learn. A true community spirit. We had lots of fun in the process too.

This set up (the DNS/VPN connection) also allowed me to work from home on stormy days or when I just felt like it. That was unheard of at the time.

The following users say thanks to Tango for this post:

allie120, la_sirena, Satsun
Tango
Planetary ruler
Limited Access

Members
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 11:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I started blogging almost immediately. Although it wasn’t called blogging at first.

Everybody had a ‘home page’. Which was nothing like a FB home page. It would be a real web site. With actual content. meaty content. Content that could be navigated and retrieved, just like a full-fledged web site.

I miss those days.

There was a whole lot more interaction between people.

Gotta go, someone at my door!

allie120, Opalina, la_sirena, Satsun
Satsun
Star
Members

Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1117
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 12:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I started on computer in 1992 for work – had a 3-day class of introduction to illustrator, photoshop and Xpress. Holy Chop Suey, it was like Chinese to me!

Didn’t start internet until 1998, also for work. Don’t remember much of that, so asked my work buddy. To check out the dates he pulled out some papers & we laughed at the prices back then! 2 computers, a scanner, a printer + 3-day class were 310 000 francs – converted to euros that’s 47 259 euros = 53 864 USD…!

Getting onto internet wasn’t easy at first either. I can’t remember when I started using it non-work, didn’t know anybody who had a computer. Maybe around 2003? Now I still don’t use it too much for contact with people, mostly to  look at the news, check things out on Google, and EE is the only blog I follow (and very glad I do!). I get FB stuff from friends in the States, but don’t really share on that. But I think it’s great to be able to reach people around the world & check out all sorts of stuff. For work, it changed everything!

Still, every day I get lots of emails, I find that it’s tedious to have to go through all of it.

Don’t have a computer at home, but thinking of getting one. A friend of mine says watching ancient movies is great & sounds like fun + listening to music, like that idea too. Maybe good for insomnia? (Well, no – maybe not!)

The following users say thanks to Satsun for this post:

Tango, la_sirena
Katgotyatung
Moon
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 19
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 1:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was watching Tv and playing video games. Even up from 1997-2000 I mostly went outside and played with friends. It was more exciting to run around and goof off with real people than sit and stare at a box. Then I moved to the suburbs and life got so boring. I stared at the box and played the sims! I still had friends but nobody really went out.

The following users say thanks to Katgotyatung for this post:

la_sirena, Satsun
Tam
Gemini Sun Virgo Moon Gemini Rising
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 9256
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 6:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I loved having a home page!!! I wonder if there is some way to create one now. Gah I had completely forgotten home pages.

I worked in Quality Control and used a computer to type in records. I bought my first computer, a Packard Bell in 1993. It was awesome, Windows 3.1 and either it or the next computer had a disk from the San Diego Zoo. I loved that CD and 18 years later I actually got to go to the San Diego Zoo. Anyway.

I am a DOS baby I am so old that I remember paper punch cards and having to type in Works at a command line prompt instead of clicking on an icon. 

The following users say thanks to Tam for this post:

Tango, la_sirena, Satsun
Tango
Planetary ruler
Limited Access

Members
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 11:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Omg I had forgotten but my first computer was also a Packard Bell! A real beauty, the Cadillac of computers. Cost me a fortune but it was top quality! 

I also remember DOS and then the very first Windows, with icons and things to click instead of typing commands!

Who remembers tractor-feed printer paper?! 

la_sirena, Satsun, Tam
JoFrance
Zodiac
Members
Forum Posts: 2919
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 7:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In 1994, I was at a high point in my computer career. I worked for a big pharma company and implemented their first company-wide email system on a PC platform. CC:Mail. There were 4 locations. It was very hard because back then, hardware and software didn’t work together as well as today.

I had my first home computer in the early 1980’s. An IBM XT. It had 640k of memory. MS-DOS was king back then.

The following users say thanks to JoFrance for this post:

Tango, la_sirena, Satsun
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 5732
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 9:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following users say thanks to NotMyCircus for this post:

la_sirena, Opalina, Tam, Myrna
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Thursday, January 3, 2019 - 9:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

la_sirena, Tam
Satsun
Star
Members

Limited Access
Forum Posts: 1117
Friday, January 4, 2019 - 7:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great post Anonymous!

This brought up the past with it’s life & times and technology. My work buddy & I had laughs at lunch!

We had Macs, but they were clunky, and so sloooow

OMG. To think back on this is like the middle ages! But pretty funny too. I think no-one remembers what it was like before! People actually wrote letters!!!

Unimaginable.

The following users say thanks to Satsun for this post:

Tam
Glenn
Rural Illinois
Galaxy
Limited Access

Members
Forum Posts: 4931
Saturday, January 5, 2019 - 12:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I was at the mid-point of my military career and was just ending up my time at the BEST command I ever had. CUTE military women who worked with electronics and computers every day. I never stood a chance.

In 1992-93 computer at my desk had i486DX2 CPU, DOS, Windows 3.11 for Workgroups…. but for me it was a glorified paperweight. They wouldn’t install the program I needed to do my job, so I came in after hours to do it.

My first computer had Pentium-90 CPU, Win-95, AOL for email, and of course Internet Explorer for surfing the web. To surf the Internet from my barracks room, I had to purchase a phone line & monthly service. Depending on where I was at, it could get quite expensive!! Dial-up ((what it was called)) easily cost $250 for a little over a week. But if that was all to do in GITMO…. you sucked it up. Or went fishing. Or snuck around to catch the prettiest women sun bathing.

The following users say thanks to Glenn for this post:

Satsun
NotMyCircus
northeast Georgia
Milky Way
Limited Access
Saturday, January 5, 2019 - 6:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In elementary school we had computers, but no Internet (this was the mid-80’s, and I’m not sure how many schools even had computers back then!)

We had a computer at home in those days, too. Dad works with computer systems so naturally we had one. 🙂   If millennials wonder what we did before the Internet….we had Atari. I played Beamrider, Pitfall, Frogger, etc. (Nintendo was banned from our home though. Could only play Mario Brothers at friends’ homes.)

During my first year in college, the Internet was brand-new to me. Had to get used to modems, dial-up, that sort of thing. I remember back in 1996 when I needed help in the computer lab with a new program and they had no idea how to help me—they’d only had it for 6 months. Back in those days, WordPerfect 6.1, Netscape Navigator, AOL were all new. I didn’t even learn about interactive tools until 1999. (I took an e-commerce class where the professor used an interactive screen. This was cutting-edge technology!) 

Satsun
Tam
Gemini Sun Virgo Moon Gemini Rising
Milky Way
Limited Access
Forum Posts: 9256
Sunday, January 6, 2019 - 12:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I made a homepage on “my yahoo” just for fun and old times sake

The following users say thanks to Tam for this post: