Clear all

Asteroid 3200 Phaethon

Jilly
Admin
Topic starter
(@jilly)
Eminent Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/asteroid-3200-phaethon-likely-source-124400233.html

Going to be visible - we're going to try to look for it in the sky this week.

It's 3200 in astro.com additional objects & at 0 Gemini now but I have no idea of it's mythology ....

Also I just want to use purple hair smiley

cheeky_gif

4 Replies
NotMyCircus
(@notmycircus)
Trusted Member

Hmm, I have a planetarium app on my phone (point it at any area of the sky and it tells you what's up there). I wonder if it will show me where the asteroid is. smile

Jilly
Admin
Topic starter
(@jilly)
Eminent Member

Husband has one of those apps on his tablet not sure what the name is - that's what we use to help us aim the telescope. It might be that one. It's very cool.

Tam
 Tam
(@tam)
Trusted Member

Cool! I saw a big meteorite this week as I was going to work. I go to work in complete darkness so it was easy to see. 1287_gif

(@wintermoon)
Eminent Member

The mythology...short version...One day Apollo the Sun god allowed his son Phaethon to take over the reins and drive his dad's fiery chariot across the sky alone, but things got out of control when Phaethon couldn't handle the hot ride with the fiery horsepower and Earth was becoming endangered, so Jupiter zapped Phaethon with a lightning bolt, killing him, and Phaethon fell to Earth. End of ride and Phaethon.

Hope this is not the fate of the minor-planet sized asteroid Phaethon tomorrow as it passes by in its orbit at 6+ million miles distant from Earth. ?

??

Scroll to Top